Friday, November 18, 2011

Unruffled Feathers


It's amazing how a few random displays of kindness can take a person out of a funk. Thanks to some unsolicited acts of decency. yesterday turned out to be a much better day than the one before.

With my renewed faith in humanity -- at least the humanity in my little section of the universe -- I have faced today with a much better attitude. Even though reality is setting in, and I probably just enjoyed my last birthday celebration for this year. Even though I'm having trouble zipping up my jeans. Even though Demi and Ashton are finally calling it quits. And the positive mental attitude has been working -- so far, not even a tiny urge for an anxiety pill.

There is much to look forward to in the next couple of weeks. First, there's my annual trip to Connecticut via New York for Thanksgiving with my family. Then, only a week after that, there's a bonus trip to New York for my son's graduation from college. My cynical son, the one who thinks ceremonies like graduations are pointless and exist only to please parents (yeah, so? your point?), has decided to walk with his class after all. Honestly, who does he think pays the bills?

Family milestones can be particularly loaded when you are going through a drawn out and sometimes contentious divorce. But just as we all rose to the occasion for my daughter's graduation last May, it looks as if everyone is poised to do the same this time around. And, for me at least, there will be nothing fake about my joy in having the bickering factions (i.e. me and my husband) and their alleged allies (i.e. our respective blood relatives) together in one room. Raising my son and my daughters was a journey of love I did not take alone, and I cannot imagine not sharing their accomplishments with the people who have loved them right along with me, every step of the way.

Deep fried turkey, a few helpings of stuffing, and celebrating one of my children, all within the span of ten days. Life don't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment